[Distutils] PIP Installation Question

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 6 18:16:54 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Rachel Krabacher <krabacher.rachel at gmail.com
> wrote:

> My name is Rachel and I am a master's student using Python as part of my
> thesis work analysis.  I have found a package online and have downloaded it
> from github, but am having difficulties getting Python to recognize that I
> have downloaded the files.  I am relatively new to Python and have been
> working in ipython notebook, so other command terminals are difficult for
> me.

well, "pip" is a "shell" command, not a python one, so you need to run it
in a regular command shell, not a python command prompt.

> I have come across your article titled "Installing Python Modules" where
> you discuss using pip to install different packages.  I have looked in my
> packages in Canopy's Package Manager

If you are using the Canopy distribution of Python, you should look at its
docs for recommended way to support installing packages that are not
included by the Canopy Package Manager. I haven't ued Canopy, so I can't
help here.

However, it's highly likely that it does indeed include standard pip
installing, so:

and it says that I have pip 7.1.0-1 installed, but for some reason when I
> type in the code: python -m pip install SomePackage,
> I am receiving an error that pip is an invalid syntax.

yes, because that is a "shell" command, not a python one, so it won't run
in the pyton interpeter (which is what iPython is giving you). Two options:

1) It is a really good idea to get a bit familiar with using the shell
(command line interface). Look online for tutorials. Here is one option:

http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/

2) ipython lets you pass shell command off from inside iPython or the
notebook, so you may be abel to do:

! pip install SomePackage

or, if teh PATH isn't set right:

! python -m pip install SomePackage

> Again I am using ipython notebook to run this, not sure if that is
> contributing to the issue.

yes, it sure is :-)

Good luck,

-Chris

> Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you very much!
> Rachel

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov