[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Nate Coraor nate at bx.psu.edu
Thu Aug 20 20:26:44 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:38 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Robert Collins
> <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> > On 14 August 2015 at 14:14, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> > ...>
> >> Of course if you have an alternative proposal than I'm all ears :-).
> >
> > Yeah :)
> >
> > So, I want to dedicate some time to contributing to this discussion
> > meaningfully, but I can't for the next few weeks - Jury duty, Kiwi
> > PyCon and polishing up the PEP's I'm already committed to...
>
> Totally hear that... it's not super urgent anyway. We should make it
> clear to Nate -- hi Nate! -- that there's no reason that solving this
> problem should block putting together the basic
> binary-compatibility.cfg infrastructure.

Hi!

I've been working on bits of this as I've also been working on, as a test
case, building out psycopg2 wheels for lots of different popular distros on
i386 and x86_64, UCS2 and UCS4, under Docker. As a result, it's clear that
my Linux distro tagging work in wheel's pep425tags has some issues. I've
been adding to this list of distributions but it's going to need a lot more
work:

https://bitbucket.org/pypa/wheel/pull-requests/54/soabi-2x-platform-os-distro-support-for/diff#Lwheel/pep425tags.pyT61

So I need a bit of guidance here. I've arbitrarily chosen some tags -
`rhel` for example - and wonder if, like PEP 425's mapping of Python
implementations to tags, a defined mapping of Linux distributions to
shorthand tags is necessary (of course this would be difficult to keep up
to date, but binary-compatibility.cfg would make it less relevant in the
long run).

Alternatively, I could simply trust and normalize
platform.linux_distribution()[0], but this means that the platform tag on
RHEL would be something like
`linux_x86_64_red_hat_enterprise_linux_server_6_5`

Finally, by *default*, the built platform tag will include whatever version
information is provided in platform.linux_distribution()[1], but the
"major-only" version is also included in the list of platforms, so a
default debian tag might look like `linux_x86_64_debian_7_8`, but it would
be possible to build (and install) `linux_x86_64_debian_7`. However, it may
be the case that the default (at least for building, maybe not for
installing) ought to be the major-only tag since it should really be ABI
compatible with any minor release of that distro.

--nate