[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 31 16:31:35 CEST 2015

On August 31, 2015 at 10:26:04 AM, Paul Moore (p.f.moore at gmail.com) wrote:
> On 31 August 2015 at 15:21, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >> Are you suggesting that this shouldn't occur?
> >
> > I'm saying we can look at the numbers at the end of the grace period
> > and decide what to do then :)
>
> Sounds reasonable to me :-)

FWIW, 10 months ago PIL was an order of magnitude the biggest user (based on hits to /simple/<X>/ of this feature both by sheer number of requests AND by unique IP addresses. I removed these numbers from the updated PEP because I felt the PEP was getting heavy on the “weasel” factor by trying to be “well if you look at it X way, the impact is A, if you look at it Y way the impact is B”. I’ve included the numbers from 10 months ago below, but if we think this numbers are useful I can redo them now again.

Top Externally Hosted Projects by Requests

This is determined by looking at the number of requests the
``/simple/<project>/`` page had gotten in a single day. The total number of
requests during that day was 10,623,831.

============================== ========
Project                        Requests
============================== ========
PIL                            63869
Pygame                         2681
mysql-connector-python         1562
pyodbc                         724
elementtree                    635
salesforce-python-toolkit      316
wxPython                       295
PyXML                          251
RBTools                        235
python-graph-core              123
cElementTree                   121
============================== ========

Top Externally Hosted Projects by Unique IPs

This is determined by looking at the IP addresses of requests the
``/simple/<project>/`` page had gotten in a single day. The total number of
unique IP addresses during that day was 124,604.

============================== ==========
Project                        Unique IPs
============================== ==========
PIL                            4553
mysql-connector-python         462
Pygame                         202