[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 31 21:53:00 CEST 2015

On August 31, 2015 at 10:31:35 AM, Donald Stufft (donald at stufft.io) wrote:
> > I can redo them now again.

So, I went ahead and ran all of the numbers using the data from 2015-08-18
(chosen because when I looked at the last couple weeks of log files, it was the
largest log file). I think the difference in just ~10 months supports the idea
that use of this feature is declining and the model in the PEP will be a
cleaner and easier to understand model.

On this day, there were 20,398,771 total requests to /simple/<X>/ which
resulted in either a 200 or a 304 response code, out of these ~20 million
requests 80,622 went to projects which do not have any files hosted on PyPI but
do have files hosted off of PyPI. This represents ~0.4% of the total traffic
for that particular day.

The top packages look a bit different than it did 10 months ago, surprisingly
to me PIL has severely dropped off from where it had ~63k 10 months ago and it
now has 5.5k, however pygame has risen from 2.6k 10 months ago to ~32k. The
total number of requests has doubled between now and 10 months ago and it
appears that numbers of the top packages have more or less done the same, with
the exception of the very top package which has been cut in half. Similar to 10
months ago we see the numbers rapidly drop by orders of magnitude.

Overall, the top 10 in this list togther represented 70,691 requests 10 months
ago, and now they represent 41,703. That's roughly 60% of what they were 10
months ago while the total number of requests increased by 100%, so it's really
more like 30% of what they were previously when adjusted for the traffic
increase.

============================== ========
Project                        Requests
============================== ========
Pygame                         32238
PIL                            5548
mysql-connector-python         5152
RBTools                        3723
python-apt                     3028
meliae                         1679
elementtree                    1576
which                          457
salesforce-python-toolkit      454
pywbem                         400
wxPython                       359
pyDes                          301
PyXML                          300
robotframework-seleniumlibrary 282
basemap                        255

Is any of this information useful for the PEP? I removed it because I though it
was too much, but I'm happy to add it back in if it'd be useful.