[Distutils] Installing packages using pip

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Tue Dec 8 22:10:40 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 2:18 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> Just want to make sure that the actual semantics here are clear -- there's
> nothing mysterious about the Unix semantics, and it's pretty easy to
> predict what will work and what won't once you understand what's going on.

​You don't have any guarantees that running process won't try to use stuff
from disk later on do you?  If it segfaults (and it does in my "general
usecases") it's hard to debug - you got nothing conveniently on disk​. And
no, "upgrading libc" is not a general usecase, it's just one of those few
things that work because they were written in a very specific way, and you
should not apply that technique in the general usecase.

If you want, I can provide you some reproducers but lets not continue this
"but, seriously, it works fine for me" kind of discussion.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro