[Distutils] build system abstraction PEP, take #2

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Dec 9 16:07:04 EST 2015

> On Dec 9, 2015, at 3:56 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>
> On 10 December 2015 at 08:59, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And even modern pips
>>> can be told *not to call wheel*.
>>

>> Isn't that something you can ignore? If the plan for pip anyway is to always
>> go sdist-wheel-install, why support this flag for a new build interface?
>
> Well, there's still debate about that. I think its waste and will piss
> developers off (heck, even in tox OpenStack folk find sdist too long
> and disable it routinely - we've added CI checks that sdist doesn't
> error to allow keeping the local developer workflow smooth).

I’m in process of moving so I’m a bit scattered brained at the moment and I don’t have the time to look into the specifics but if this is for the build interface (vs the shim) then I don’t think we should support plain ``install``. Opting into the new format should mandate the capability of producing a wheel and then installing from that instead of being able to directly install.

If we consider the setuptools/distutils era to be “Make it Work”, then we’re now at “Make it Right”, making it fast can come later but sacrificing correctness for speed isn’t something I think we should be doing and so speed arguments (vs why it’s more correct to do X instead of Y) don’t matter much to me.

Donald Stufft