[Distutils] Building and installing packages on a (unix) system lacking network accesss

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 23 17:59:07 EST 2015

KM <nalani at fea.st> writes:

> This works up until a certain point, where pip (or something launched
> by pip) tries to download from the internet. I tried adding
> ''--global-option '--no-index -f <url>'" to my options

That specifies a *single* option to be passed to Distutils, containing
spaces: “--no-index -f <url>”.

> but this failed. I get the error: option --no-index -f <url> not
> recognized.

Right, there is no “--no-index -f <url>” option recognised by Distutils.

The “--global-option” option takes a single argument, which it passes to
the ‘setup.py’ invocation. If you want multiple options passed that way,
I think you need to use ‘--global-option’ several times.

Once you use that, though, you'll find that Distutils also doesn't
recognise “--no-index” nor “--find-links” options.

What are you hoping those will do?

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\     Brain, but if they called them ‘Sad Meals’, kids wouldn't buy |