[Distutils] Parsing requirements, pip has no API ...

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 22:44:12 CET 2015

pip is a command-line tool. The fact that you can import it doesn't
make it a library. If it documents no public API then it has none and
you shouldn't be relying on things that you can import from pip. You
can import requests from pip but you shouldn't do that either.

There seems to be a need for a separate library for this use case but
there isn't at the moment. In general, requirements.txt seems to be an
anti-pattern. You either have to use likely to break tooling or you'll
have to reinvent that from scratch. You're better off putting it
directly in setup.py and using setup.py to install dependencies in a
virtualenv instead of requirements.txt