[Distutils] Bilingual namespace package conundrum

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 2 05:33:59 CET 2015

On Jan 01, 2015, at 09:14 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Why are you puzzled by the notion that something designed to work with a
>one mechanism for a particular feature probably does not work with a
>newer, different mechanism for a particular feature? My assumption is that
>setuptools is ensuring that the __init__.py files are being written (or the
>nspkg or whatever, I forget which files are used in which cases) which is
>breaking the PEP420 “implicit” namespace packages.

Note that in neither case are actual PEP 420 namespace packages being used.
It would be nice if both pip and setuptools could handle namespace packages,
but neither do.  In fact I think if they did, there wouldn't be a problem.
The problem comes about because setuptools is installing them as separate eggs
which are *not* PEP 420 portions.  pip succeeds because it happens to install
the portions under the same top-level directory, so the namespace's
__init__.py just happens to get overwritten and thus works.

Cheers,
-Barry