[Distutils] oneget python provider?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 18:05:15 CET 2015

On 12 January 2015 at 05:48, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Microsoft is working on a thing called OneGet to be shipped in new
> versions of Windows, which will essentially be a standard interface
> for accessing whatever package managers are on the system (and
> bootstrapping new ones).
[...]
> So, is this interesting to anyone? Would anyone want to work on making
> a Python package manager available through this system (especially
> pip, as that would save me a lot of work), assuming I can provide some
> good documentation/sample code and no C# or PowerShell coding is
> required? Did I even explain this well enough for the question to make
> sense?

I'm sort of interested in this, but as far as I've been able to work
out, it's only available on Windows 8 and later. As I'm still on
Windows 7, that means I have limited opportunity to investigate. And
as you noted yourself, the whole environment seems to be expressed in
terms that don't make a huge amount of sense to outsiders (I'm not
completely clear on what a "Provider" might be, and what would be
involved in pip being one, if it's not already...)

So basically, until it's available on Windows 7 and there's a bit more
accessible documentation, I'm not likely to do anything about this.
But it would be good to hear how things are going, certainly).

Paul