[Distutils] oneget python provider?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:46:27 CET 2015

On 14 January 2015 at 17:05, Erik Purins <Erik.Purins at imgtec.com> wrote:
>>> One thought - before looking at a pip provider for OneGet, I'd rather look at what's involved in properly exposing the official python.org installers through OneGet.
>
> ^This
>
> Since windows doesn't have a system cpython interpreter, this has odds of becoming 'the one true way' of getting/updating one.
> Likewise other non-cpython versions (ironpython, stackless, so-on).

Hmm, yes. And my current worry is that the Chocolatey version (which
is exposed via OneGet) will become the de facto standard people use,
which IMO is *not* good :-(

Note that I have no idea what Chocolatey *do* to expose the Python
installer. They may just provide a pointer to the python.org website
(with some added metadata) or they may provide their own repackaged
version. Also, if they are hacked, they may unwillingly provide a
pointer to a compromised version.

Paul