[Distutils] How to implement ‘setup.py’ functionality that itself needs third-party distributions

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Jan 21 05:41:16 CET 2015

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 10:50 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just use my script. Once new-metadata has been standardized pip itself will know how to install build (setup) requirements and the script will be obsolete.  Until then I think you will find it works.

One downside to https://bitbucket.org/dholth/setup-requires <https://bitbucket.org/dholth/setup-requires> is that it’s not going to work for people who use something like ``pip install —cert`` or ``pip install —index`` (specifically the CLI flags, not environment variables or config files). This is already a problem with setup_requires, but one I have a plan to fix. It’s also not going to work on Python 2.6 but that’s a trivial fix.

The major downside to this though is that trying to work around the built in setuptools mechanisms is going to go wrong I think. I’m hoping to in the next pip version to have a solution where pip itself will install setup_requires instead of setuptools handling it. However looking at the implementation of dholth/setup-requires I’m pretty sure that this is going to “defeat” that and prevent pip from being able to wrest control of dholth/setup-requires style setup_requires (which will make things like ``pip install —cert`` work).

Generally I’m of the opinion that the trickier someone makes their setup.py, the worse of an idea it is and the more likely it is going to break.

---
Donald Stufft