[Distutils] PyPA Announcements & Twitter

Marc Abramowitz msabramo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:33:47 CET 2015

> On Jan 25, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Randy Syring <randy at thesyrings.us> wrote:
>
> Therefore, I'd like to propose something like a packaging-announce mailing list.  This could be linked to the PyPA Twitter account.  Then, announcements that pertain to the broader Python community would be cross posted to the distutils-sig and packaging-announce (and therefore twitter).

+1 to this.

I think the key observation here is that there are two audiences when it comes to packaging:

1. A large audience of folks who are package authors and maintainers, who want to know about the latest developments and best practices.

2. The smaller audience of folks who know packaging well and are working hard to improve it and having discussions among themselves on how to best move things forward.

I don't know of an information channel that serves #1 well. The ones I know of try to handle both. I think having different channels for each group will improve the experience for both groups.

Randy, I'm willing to help if you want.

Marc