[Distutils] Making install a no-op

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Jul 11 00:22:50 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-10 15:11:32 -0700 (-0700), Ethan Furman wrote:
[...]
> The request came from someone who would like to have one wheel
> file for all Python2-3 versions; I know that in setup.py it's easy
> enough to check the version and add (or not) enum34 to the
> required (or dependent?) module list. Does this type of thing work
> with wheels?

If you want a real-world example you can look at argparse (I can
successfully pip install argparse in a Python 3.5 virtualenv even
though it's been in stdlib since 2.7).

If you want depending packages to do the work instead, they'll need
to implement environment markers with something like
;python_version<='3.3' (which really needs setuptools 17.1 or later
to interpret it correctly).
http://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/history.html#id5
--
Jeremy Stanley