[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 20 19:37:20 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> The intended use case is "Build once, deploy many times".
>
> This is especially important for use cases like Nate's - Galaxy has
> complete control over both the build environment and the deployment
> environment, but they *don't* want to rebuild in every analysis
> environment.
>
> That means all they need is a way to build a binary artifact that
> adequately declares its build context, and a way to retrieve those
> artifacts at installation time.
>

> I'm interested in the same case - I don't need to build artifacts for
> arbitrary versions of Linux, I mainly want to build them for the
> particular ABIs defined by the different Fedora and EPEL versions.

sure -- but isn't that use-case already supported by wheel -- define your
own wheelhouse that has the ABI you know you need, and point pip to it.

Not that it would hurt to add a bit more to the filename, but it seems you
either:

Have a specific system definition you are building for -- so you want to
give it a name. One step better than defining a wheelhouse.

or

You want to put it up on PyPi and have the folks with compatible systems be
abel to get, and know it will work -- THAT is a big 'ol can of worms that
maybe you're better off going with conda....

-CHB

> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov