[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 24 20:52:51 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it would be great to just package these up as wheels and put them
> on PyPI.

that's the point -- there is no way with the current spec to specify a
wheel dependency as opposed to a package dependency. i.e this particular
binary numpy wheel depends on this other wheel, whereas the numpy source
pacakge does not have that dependency -- and, indeed, a wheel for one
platform may have different dependencies that\n other platforms.

> So numpy could depend on "blas" and there could be a few different
> distributions on PyPI that provide "blas" representing the different
> underlying libraries. If I want to install numpy with a particular one I
> can just do:
>
>     pip install gotoblas  # Installs the BLAS library within Python dirs
>     pip install numpy

well,different implementations of BLAS are theoretically ABI compatible,
but as I understand it, it's not actually that simple, so this is
particularly challenging.

But if it were, this would be a particular trick, because then that numpy
wheel would depend on _some_ BLAS wheel, but there may be more than one
option -- how would you express that????

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov