[Distutils] executable egg & top-level __main__.py

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 19 17:10:55 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-18 19:50, Alex Clark wrote:

> Probably can't answer that without seeing setup.py where there should at
> least be ``packages = find_packages()``.

Yes there is. Also version and name, that's it: straight from the fine
manual.

> Also sounds like you may be looking for console_scripts.

No. I mean, the documentation is sketchy to put it charitably, but it
doesn't look like running "python myegg.egg" will call any of those. It
looks like it should call "setuptools.installation" entry point(s) but
that one's not quite what I'm after.

What I'm looking for is exactly what I asked: I have a __main__.py in
the root of my directory tree next to setup.py, I want it included in
the egg when I run "python setup.py bdist_egg".

Cheers,
Dimitri