[Distutils] executable egg & top-level __main__.py: SOLVED

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 21:57:46 CEST 2015

On 19 June 2015 at 18:19, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Well, it could be mentioned in the "eggsecutable scripts" section, esp.
> since what that has now doesn't really parse anyway:

While I understand what you want, and it sounds like you have found a
way to achieve it, Daniel is right - this feature of eggs (and indeed
the whole egg format in general) is essentially deprecated nowadays.
If you want an installable binary, you should be using wheels, and if
you want a single-file executable, you should be using zipapp (the
zipapp module is new in 3.5, but zipping up the correct directory
structure has been supported for ages).

The documentation around eggs, and indeed around distutils/setuptools,
has never been wonderful. That's a long-standing problem we're looking
to fix, but we almost certainly won't be improving the documentation
for "eggsecutable scrips" - it's more likely that we'll *remove* that
documentation and leave the feature present solely for backward
compatibility.

(Note: I do *not* speak as the setuptools maintainer - Jason may well
have a different view - but what I say above is my understanding as
one of the pip maintainers of the general direction the packaging
community is heading).

Paul