[Distutils] Getting more momentum for pip

Randy Syring randy at thesyrings.us
Thu Mar 5 19:21:45 CET 2015

On 03/05/2015 12:07 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> It seems to me that there is another point that delays progress on a
> certain proportion of PRs, specifically feature requests, namely that
> no-one really has that strong an opinion on whether they are a good
> idea or not. I know I've noticed a few requests recently where my
> reaction was essentially "I don't have a problem with this, but I
> don't care enough to actually add it"

An "issue before feature request PR" policy might help here.  Before
someone submits the feature request PR, have them open an issue for
discussion of the feature.  Recommend/Require that at least one core dev
be strongly in favor before giving approval to open the PR.
Automatically close these issues without the approval after some amount
of inactivity.  Automatically lose any feature request PRs that don't
have an approved issue associated with them.

Put up an explanation of this policy, sympathy that it may cause
frustration, but that with limited time, devs must focus their efforts, etc.

The closing of issues & PRs can be automated, core devs can focus on the
items they think brings real value.

Bug fix PRs now stand out more.

My $0.02.

*Randy Syring*
Husband | Father | Redeemed Sinner

/"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36 ESV)/