[Distutils] setup_requires for dev environments

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Mar 16 18:17:47 CET 2015

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 1:04 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The problem with a no-stopgaps policy is that the non-stopgap solution
> has to be incredible to ever be greater than the accrued debt of
> ((current pain - reduced pain from stopgap) * all python users * years
> until non-stopgap) - (maintenance/documentation hassle * years since
> stopgap implemented * everyone who has to deal with it), and we do not
> know how great the non-stopgap will be.

There is not a "no stopgaps" policy. There is a "stopgaps must be carefully
considered" policy.

Stopgaps which don't rely on end users needing to do anything in particular to
use them and which pay attention to backwards and forward compatability are
better than stopgaps that introduce new APIs/user facing features.

---
Donald Stufft