[Distutils] setup_requires for dev environments

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:24:07 CET 2015

On 17 Mar 2015 04:33, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 March 2015 at 17:14, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> > The bulk of the effort of pushing the standards, pip, and PyPI through
is done
> > by a handful of people, and of those handful I believe that the largest
share
> > is done by myself. That's not to toot my own horn or any such nonsense
but to
> > simply state the fact that the available bandwidth of people able and
willing
> > to work on problems is low. However the things we bless here as
official are
> > things which need to be able to last for a decade or more, which means
that
> > they do need careful consideration before we bless them.
>
> As a serious question - is there anything I (or indeed anyone else)
> can do to make progress on PEP 426? If I'm honest, right now I don't
> exactly see what tool changes are needed to change it from draft to
> accepted to actually implemented.

The main bottleneck where PEP 426 is concerned is me, and my current focus
is on Red Hat & Project Atomic (e.g.
http://connect.redhat.com/zones/containers,
https://github.com/projectatomic/adb-atomic-developer-bundle) and the PSF
(e.g.
https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundation/ProposalsForDiscussion/StrategicDecisionMakingProcess
)

The main issue with PEP 426 is that are a few details in the current draft
that I already think are a bad idea but haven't explicitly documented
anywhere, so I need to get back and address those before it makes sense for
anyone to start serious work on implementing it.

However, now that I know folks are keen to help with that side, I can
reprioritise getting the updates done so there's a better base to start
working from.

It's also worth noting that the main tweaks I want to make are specifically
related to the way semantic dependencies are proposed to be defined, so
everything outside that should already be fair game for formal
documentation in an updated JSON schema.

Cheers,
Nick.