[Distutils] setup_requires for dev environments

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 17 01:01:40 CET 2015

On 17 March 2015 at 12:53, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert: is it a requirement to you that "python setup.py ..." should
> install setup_requires? For me I'd be quite happy if installing the
> requirements was my own problem in the absence of an installer.
>
> I would like to start writing my setup.py like this:
>
> setup.cfg:
> setup-requires = waf
>
> setup.py:
> import waf
> interpret setup.py arguments
> build with waf
> don't import setuptools

I've no particular thoughts on that. It would certainly avoid the pain
of easy_install being triggered.

Success criteria for my immediate personal needs:
 - pip install -e . works on a clean checkout of my projects
 - easy_install doesn't go and download stuff
 - my setup.py can refer to things (usually the version) inside the
project itself, safely
 - python setup.py sdist bdist_wheel upload -s works after I've done
pip install -e .

(I'm happy to unpack why I've chosen those four things, but I think
there's enough context in the thread by now).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist