[Distutils] setup_requires for dev environments

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:31:53 CET 2015

In other setup_requires old news, a couple of years ago I did an
"autosetuptools" branch of pip which would automatically install
setuptools (if it was not already installed) when installing sdists.
In this case you could think of setuptools as an implicit
setup_requires member. Setuptools would not be installed if only
wheels were being installed.

It might be helpful to think of setuptools-style setup_requires
differently than "must be available before setup.py can run at all"
setup_requires.