[Distutils] setup_requires for dev environments

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Wed Mar 18 17:02:20 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <
chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I don't want it downloading and installing dependencies when I go to
> build. That's an install- time task.

Sounds to me like you should not use setup_requires then - if you don't
like what it does.

Also, for the whole distutils-sig, I don't understand all the fuss around
this much maligned feature - there are plenty of options to manage
build-time dependencies and tasks - one certainly doesn't need to shoehorn
<https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/setup.py> a full blown
build system into setup.py - there's make, invoke, shell scripts and plenty
of other systems that can do that just fine​.

Using too many tools is bad, but misusing tools is far worse.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro