[Distutils] force static linking

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:55:03 CET 2015

On 23 March 2015 at 18:45, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this the general perspective on static linking of python module
> dependencies?  That if your systems are the same, you don't need to?
>
> I want static linking too, but if it's swimming upstream in a fast
> river, I may reconsider.

On Windows, it's not uncommon to statically link dependencies into a
wheel. Obviously that's a very different environment, and the
situation isn't the same, but it's certainly something that *can* be
done. I don't know how easy it is to do it on Linux, though (on
Windows, it's mostly a case of building static libs for your
dependencies and linking to those rather than to DLLs, AIUI).

Paul.