[Distutils] it's happened - wheels without sdists (flit)

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:05:45 CEST 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, setup.py should die. Flit is one example, and you can understand
> it not by copy/pasting, but by spending half an hour reading its
> complete source code.

In other words, no one should read the docs because that's a waste of time?
Because a lot of time has been poured into the packaging docs and if
they're not sufficient, then instead of improving them, people should write
undocumented tools that force people to read the source? I'm not sure how
that's better than what we already have.

Further, how does flit deal with C-extensions? How does flit deal with
C-extensions distributed on Linux? How does it generate the appropriate
wheels for that?