[Distutils] it's happened - wheels without sdists (flit)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Mar 30 17:34:17 CEST 2015

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> setup.py as implemented with distutils/setuptools has a bit of a
> Goldilocks problem: it's just right for a medium-complexity project
> but when your project is very simple it's too hard, and when you get
> to the point where you are trying to extend distutils by writing a
> 10,000 line extension, yikes. So it's fantastic to be able to just
> avoid distutils entirely if it isn't the right size for your project.
> This example, flit, does not invoke any code from distutils,
> setuptools or bdist_wheel to do its thing.
>
> A source release could just be an archive of the repository.

An archive of the repository is not the same thing as a source release.

Honestly, most of my setup.py’s look basically the same as a flit ini
file, just inside of python instead of ini. For example, I’m not sure
how something like https://github.com/pypa/packaging/blob/master/setup.py
or https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/blob/master/setup.py or
https://github.com/pypa/twine/blob/master/setup.py or
https://github.com/pypa/readme/blob/master/setup.py would be improved by
moving it to a ini file instead of a python file.

The current toolchain absolutely has some problems, but I’m not convinced
that shuffling around the same data into different locations is the answer
to those problems.

---
Donald Stufft