[Distutils] Dynamic linking between Python modules (was: Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat May 16 21:04:25 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> > could you clarify a bit -- I thought that this could, at least, put a
> dir on
> > the search path that was specific to that python context. So it would
> > require cooperation among all the packages being used at once, but not
> get
> > tangled up with the rest of the system. but maybe I'm wrong here -- I
> have
> > no idea what the heck I'm doing with this!
>
> Suppose Python adds C:\PythonXY\SharedDLLs to %PATH%. Suppose there's
> a libpng.dll in there, for matplotlib.

I think we all agree that %PATH% is NOT the option! Taht is the key source
od dll hell on Windows.

I was referring to the SetDllDirectory API. I don't think that gets picked
up by other processes.

from:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686203%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It looks like you can add a path, at run time, that gets searched for dlls
before the rest of the system locations. And this does to effect any other
applications. But you'd need to make sure this got run before any of the
effected packages where loaded -- which is proabbly what David meant by
needing to "control the python binary".

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov