[Distutils] Making pip and PyPI work with conda packages

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun May 17 15:41:24 CEST 2015

On 17 May 2015 at 19:05, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 May 2015 at 05:04, David Mertz <dmertz at continuum.io> wrote:
>> What would be better as a user experience would be to let users do this:
>>
>>   % pip install --upgrade pip
>>   % pip install some_conda_package
>
> This gets the respective role of the two tools reversed - it's like my
> asking for "pip install some_fedora_rpm" to be made to work.
>
> However, having conda use "pip install" in its build scripts so that
> it reliably generates pip compatible installation metadata would be a
> possibility worth discussing - that's what we've started doing in
> Fedora, so that runtime utilities like pkg_resources can work
> correctly.

So you're generating a record file and then copying it into place in the rpm's?

I'm not sure if thats an external-stable-thing yet, perhaps it is. The
distutils data directory with the METADATA etc is what pkg_resources
needs (and is preserve on Debian and derived systems already).

I see no reason why we can't make this a part of the contract, but we
should at least get it in a PEP first, no?

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist