[Distutils] Dynamic linking between Python modules (was: Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:17:34 CEST 2015

On 17 May 2015 at 23:50, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I guess the key thing here for me is that I don't see pushing conda to
> budding web developers -- but what if web developers have the need for a bit
> of the scipy stack? or???
>
> We really don't have a good solution for those folks.

Agreed. My personal use case is as a general programmer (mostly
sysadmin and automation type of work) with some strong interest in
business data analysis and a side interest in stats.

For that sort of scenario, some of the scipy stack (specifically
matplotlib and pandas and their dependencies) is really useful. But
conda is *not* what I'd use for day to day work, so being able to
install via pip is important to me. It should be noted that installing
via pip *is* possible - via some of the relevant projects having
published wheels, and the rest being available via Christoph Gohlke's
site either as wheels or as wininsts that I can convert. But that's
not a seamless process, so it's not something I'd be too happy
explaining to a colleague should I want to share the workload for that
type of thing.

Paul