[Distutils] Dynamic linking between Python modules (was: Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 18 20:21:31 CEST 2015

On 18 May 2015 at 18:50, David Mertz <dmertz at continuum.io> wrote:
>   % pip install conda
>   % conda install scientific_stuff
>   % conda install --sdist django_widget   # we know to look on PyPI

But that doesn't give (Windows, mainly) users a solution for things
that need a C compiler, but aren't provided as conda packages.

My honest view is that unless conda is intending to replace pip and
wheel totally, you cannot assume that people will be happy to use
conda alongside pip (or indeed, use any pair of independent packaging
tools together - people typically want one unified solution). And if
the scientific community stops working towards providing wheels for
people without compilers "because you can use conda", there is going
to be a proportion of the Python community that will lose out on some
great tools as a result.

Paul