[Distutils] Making pip and PyPI work with conda packages

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue May 19 17:05:02 CEST 2015

Maybe I wasn't very clear -- I was addressing what conda might provide in
the context of using conda packages with pip/pipy.

A conda environment provides a great deal more, yes.

system-site-packages may very well be for a different version of the python
interpreter and stdlib.

Isn't that handled by the wheel meta-data? At least in practice -- Anaconda
is delivering python.org compatible pythons.

meta.yaml (w/ optional preprocessing # [selectors])
http://conda.pydata.org/docs/build.html calls build.sh or build.bat by
default, at build time.

Exactly -- you need to write those build scripts yourself. Conda does set
up the environment for you (lib paths,etc) so it's often as easy as
"./configure && make && make install", but if it's not (particularly on
windows!) you've got to figure it out.

Which brings in the community aspect -- a lot of stuff has been figured out.

PPAs would be great

Personal package archives? Can't we do that now with pip+wheel? Indeed,
isn't that 1/2 of what binary wheels are for? And the only thing they are
for on Linux?

-Chris