[Distutils] Making pip and PyPI work with conda packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue May 19 20:10:15 CEST 2015

On 19 May 2015 at 17:40, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> Because some libraries simply don't work as static libraries, or are too
>> big (MKL comes to mind). Also, we have been historically using static libs
>> for our eggs at Enthought on windows, and it has been a nightmare to
>> support. It just does not scale when you have 100s of packages.
>
> there is also the issue of semi-developers -- I want people to be able to
> easily build my package, that depends on a bunch of libs that I really want
> to be the same. I suppose I could deliver the static libs themselves, along
> with the headers, etc, but that does get ugly.

Hmm, that seems to me to be something of a non-goal. If you publish
wheels, 99.999% of people should never need to build your software.

I'm 100% in favour of repeatable, automated builds - I routinely rant
at instructions that say "grab this bit from over here, install that
bit (oh wait, it moved since last time I looked, try here)..." But we
don't really need a standard infrastructure for them, you write a
"setup_build_environment.py" script that ships with your project, run
it once, and then run python setup.py bdist_wheel. If your build
dependencies are simple, "setup_build_environment.py" could be short
(or even non-existent!) or if not it could be many hundreds of lines
of code. But it's specific to your project.

Paul