[Distutils] Making pip and PyPI work with conda packages

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed May 20 01:11:19 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, for example the process for building the pyyaml package available
> via conda is private?

well, I haven't been able to find them... I don't know if continuum keeps
them "private" on purpose or, just haven't happened to publish them.

> That seems like a
> rather striking downside to conda that I wasn't aware of.

We need to be careful here about what is:

"conda" -- a fully open source package management system
"Anaconda" -- a python and other stuff distribution produced by Continuum.

How Continuum does or doesn't publish the recipes it used to build
 Anaconda doesn't really have anything to do with conda-the-technology.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:23 PM, David Mertz <dmertz at continuum.io> wrote:

> It is certainly not our intention at Continuum to keep build recipes
> private.
>

>  I'll add it to my TODO list to work on making sure that those are better
> updated and maintained at https://github.com/conda/conda-recipes.

That would be great!

I will note that most recipes seem to consist of either 'python setup.py
> install' or './configure; make; make install'.

sure -- but those aren't the ones we want ;-)

>   So there is quite likely actually little significant work that has
> failed to have been published.  But I'm not sure of pyyaml off the top of
> my head, and how that is built.

see if you can find the wxPython one, while you are at it :-)
  --  though I suspect that was built from the "official" executable,
rather than re-built from scratch.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov