[Distutils] Dynamic linking between Python modules (was: Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu May 21 17:37:39 CEST 2015

> On May 21, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com <mailto:ncoghlan at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Coping with this problem is also why injecting setuptools when running
> vanilla distutils projects is one of the secrets of pip's success:
>
> Ahh! THAT is the role pip plays in building. It's the way that you get setuptools features in a plain distutils-based package. So conda _could_ play the same trick, and inject setuptools into packages that don't use it already, but why bother -- pip does that for us.
>
> OK -- I'm going to try to find some time to play with this -- I do think it will solve some of the issues I've had, and if it works well, maybe we can move it toward a new standard of practice for conda-python-packages.
>
> Thanks -- clarity at last!

Also, one of the goals a few of us has in the PyPA is that we move to a future where the build systems are  pluggable. So one package could be building using setuptools, another building using some SciPy specific build tool, another using a whole other one. They will all ideally have some sort of generic interface that they need to work with, but using pip means you get the details of abstracting out to the different build tools handled for you, for “free”. At least, in theory that’s how it’ll work :)

---
Donald Stufft