[Distutils] setuptools

James Polley jp at jamezpolley.com
Sat May 30 00:33:15 CEST 2015

After a quick spot of research, I'm assuming you got to this point by
reading http://www.nltk.org/install.html and following the link in step 1
to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

If that's the case, the answer to your questions is in the document you
read. Under the "Unix and Mac OS" heading it tells you to "follow the wget
instructions but replace wget with curl"

If you follow the wget instructions, they note that you may get this error,
and tell you how to proceed:

Note that you will may need to invoke the command with superuser privileges
to install to the system Python:

> wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/ez_setup.py -O - | sudo python

But don't do that. Those instructions are intended to work anywhere, from a
very old system that has a very very old version of python right through to
a system that already has everything installed.

You should be able to just go back to http://www.nltk.org/install.html  and
start from step 3: Install Numpy (optional): run sudo pip install -U numpy