[Distutils] Cross Platform PIP install

Nick Hilton weegreenblobbie at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 01:27:18 CEST 2015

Hello list!
This is my first message to the list so I apologize in advance if this was covered somewhere else but I'm having trouble figuring it out.
I have a C++ Python extension module that I configure and build.  My goal is to have the source package in the PyPI to simplify how users install my package.  Ultimately I wish it to be as simple as:
$ pip install nsound --user
How does one achieve this?
The way I currently build my Python extension is by using my build system to generate setup.py, then the usual python setup.py install --user.
Are .whl files the way to go?  How do I create nsound .whl for multiple platforms?  Can I have multiple flavors of packages in PyPI?  I'm considering having multiple Python extensions, some dynamically linked with the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK), and others not.  Is this possible?
Any advice or links to pages would be much appreciated!
:)
Nick