[Distutils] Brian Goetz - Stewardship: the Sobering Parts

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 19:26:13 EST 2015

Hi,

Thanks for sharing that video, Donald.

In context, I don't think it's fair to characterize the speaker's
perspective as *dangerous*, or of categorically favoring current users over
potential new users. Obviously there are a lot of tradeoffs around backward
compatibility, and no one-sized-fits-all solutions.

One of the most powerful points Brian made is that the large user base of
Java (or Python, etc) is an immensely powerful source of leverage. Each
incremental improvement to the language, standard library, or associated
tools will almost immediately impact a lot of users and improve their
lives. It's kind of an obvious point, but I think he expressed it very well.

On that note, I lurk on this list regularly, but generally don't really
contribute. I do see the awesome work that ya'll are putting in on a day to
day basis, and I see the results in the wild. Thanks to all of your hard
work, the packaging situation has vastly improved, and continues to do so,
especially with pip and wheels. All your hard work has definitely made my
life better, for one.

Best,
Robert