[Distutils] [Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 3 12:10:16 EST 2015

>> I'm not talking about in place installs, I'm talking about e.g. building a
>> wheel and then tweaking one file and rebuilding -- traditionally build
>> systems go to some effort to keep track of intermediate artifacts and reuse
>> them across builds when possible, but if you always copy the source tree
>> into a temporary directory before building then there's not much the build
>> system can do.

This strikes me as an optimization -- is it an important one?

If I'm doing a lot of tweaking and re-running, I'm usually in develop mode.

I can see that when you build a wheel, you may build it, test it,
discover an wheel-specific error, and then need to repeat the cycle --
but is that a major use-case?

That being said, I have been pretty frustrated debugging conda-build
scripts -- there is a lot of overhead setting up the build environment
each time you do a build...

But with wheel building there is much less overhead, and far fewer
complications requiring the edit-build cycle.

And couldn't make-style this-has-already-been-done checking happen
with a copy anyway?

CHB