[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Nov 6 09:46:23 EST 2015

On Nov 6, 2015 5:39 AM, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 November 2015 at 12:10, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> > Doesn’t py.exe just look at some ini files and environment variables to
decide what to invoke? I’m not sure why we couldn’t just replicate that
behavior. Is there something that py.exe does that we can’t also do in
Python?

> What's there might be possible in Python, but there are some nasty
> special cases. The launcher code looks in the registry, and in order
> to support running both 32 and 64 bit Pythons from the same launcher
> exe, it needs to play tricks to see both the 32 and 64 bit registry
> values, and I'm not sure the APIs to do that are exposed to Python so
> it may need ctypes.
>
> Doable certainly, easy not so sure. We could of course do a simplified
> version and not try to be precisely equivalent to the launcher
> behaviour - but that may also cause user confusion. The simplest cases
> are easy, it's the corner cases that get nasty.

One option would be to add a "py -which" mode that just does the
configuration lookup and then prints the path to the real python
executable. This would add the cost of one subprocess startup per pip, but
not 6?

-n