[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Nov 6 10:23:42 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 02:04:38PM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 6 November 2015 at 10:08, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> > * It's more to type, 10 more characters on *nix and 6 more characters on
> >   Windows which makes it more akward and annoying to use. This is particularly
> >   annoying inside of a virtual environment where there isn't really any
> >   ambiguity when one is activated.
>
> cat > /usr/bin/pip << EOF
> python -m pip $@
> EOF
>
> Seriously - isn't the above entirely sufficient?

It doesn't help with my usual pattern, which used to be

  $ virtualenv .
  $ bin/pip install foo

but then changed[*] into

  $ virtualenv .venv && ln -sfn .venv/bin bin
  $ bin/pip install foo

and is likely to change[+] into

  $ virtualenv .venv && mkdir -p bin && ln -sfn .venv/bin/pip bin/pip
  $ bin/pip install foo

I am not running these by hand -- I have Makefiles to set up my app
environment by creating a local virtualenv and pip installing all the
tools, plus '-e .', into it.  But once the basic environment is done,
I'm often installing ad-hoc one-time-use extra tools with commands like

  $ bin/pip install runsnakerun

---

  [*] because virtualenv's root is becoming too cluttered with files like
      pip-selftest.json, and because some evil packages on PyPI install
      files named README.txt into the virtualenv root.

  [+] because if you symlink just the bin/ directory, bin/python fails to
      set up sys.path correctly

Marius Gedminas
--
I'm sure it would be possible to speed apport up a lot, after we're done
making boot and login instantaneous.