[Distutils] New PEP : dependency specification

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 12:45:21 EST 2015

> The language defined is a compact line based format which is already in
> widespread use

this is the most critical thing for me, and the reason this approach seems
more attractive than the path of PEP426, although I'd certainly like to see
Nick's reaction.

PEP426 tries to cover how names/specifiers/extras/markers would be put
together in abstract "in-memory representation" (that can be serialized to
json), but it's left open to pip (and other tools) to lay down a standard
(via implementation) for how these pieces are put together and used by
users.

this PEP would dictate both, right?  the user way, and the internal
metadata way....