[Distutils] Platform tags for OS X binary wheels

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:48:15 EST 2015

Hi,

I just tried to run `pip install numpy` on my OS X 10.10.3 box, and it
proceeds to download and compile the tarball from PyPI from source (very
slow). I see, however, that pre-compiled OS X wheel files are available on
PyPI for OS X 10.6 and later.

Checking the code, it looks like pip is picking up the platform tag through
`distutils.util.get_platform()`, which returns 'macosx-10.5-x86_64' on this
machine. At root, I think this comes from the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
entry in the Makefile at `python3.5/config-3.5m/Makefile`. I know that this
value is used by distutils compiling python extension modules -- presumably
so that they can be distributed to any target machine with OS X >=10.5 --
so that's good. But is this the right thing for pip to be using when
checking whether a binary wheel is compatible? I see it mentioned
<https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0425/#id13> in PEP 425, so perhaps
this was already hashed out on the list.

Best,
Robert