[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:41:25 EST 2015

On 7 November 2015 at 22:21, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> The actual question is: which problem are you trying to solve *that
> current users are actually experiencing*?

Typically, people using "pip" to install stuff, and finding it gets
installed into the "wrong" Python installation (i.e., not the one they
expected). I'm not clear myself on how this happens, but it seems to
be common on some Linux distros (and I think on OSX as well) where
system and user-installed Pythons get confused.

Whether removing the pip command in favour of explicitly using the
name of the python you want to install into is a reasonable solution,
or an over-reaction, is what we're trying to establish. But it is a
very real problem and we see a fair number of bug reports based on it.

Paul