[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

David Mertz dmertz at continuum.io
Sat Nov 7 20:14:26 EST 2015

I found I really did typically have that problem that Paul describes pretty
often until I switched to using predominantly conda.  I would always make
symlinks for pip2 and pip3 (and maybe for pip3.3 vs. pip3.4) to make sure
things went the right places.

I suppose this problem was largely because I didn't really use virtualenv
much, and now that I'm a conda person the environments come "for free" with
the installation.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 November 2015 at 22:21, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > The actual question is: which problem are you trying to solve *that
> > current users are actually experiencing*?
>
> Typically, people using "pip" to install stuff, and finding it gets
> installed into the "wrong" Python installation (i.e., not the one they
> expected). I'm not clear myself on how this happens, but it seems to
> be common on some Linux distros (and I think on OSX as well) where
> system and user-installed Pythons get confused.
>
> Whether removing the pip command in favour of explicitly using the
> name of the python you want to install into is a reasonable solution,
> or an over-reaction, is what we're trying to establish. But it is a
> very real problem and we see a fair number of bug reports based on it.
>
> Paul

*David Mertz, Ph.D.*
*Senior Software Engineer and Senior Trainer*