[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 8 16:31:36 EST 2015

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, pip is orders of magnitude more frequently used than
> the other commands that suffer from this problem, so it *feels* like a
> pip issue. But it isn't really, it's either a Python issue or an OS
> issue, depending on how you view it.

+1. Addressing this by insisting on ‘python -m foo’ is not a solution.
It's a plaster over a problem that will remain until the underlying
conflict is resolved.

That's not to say PyPA should ignore the issue, certainly there are
things that can be done to help. But ‘python -m foo’ is an ugly wart,
and I really want the rhetoric to acknowledge that instead of
considering it a satisfactory end point.

--
 \        “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used |
  `\                           when we created them.” —Albert Einstein |