[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 07:46:51 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 6:01 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> The one thing that *is* special about pip is that it actually
> *modifies* the Python installation it runs under. So running pip with
> the "wrong" Python makes persistent changes somewhere you weren't
> expecting. Whereas running the wrong Django presumably just fires up a
> website you weren't expecting, which is easily fixed. That makes the
> issues with wrapper commands and PATH more pressing for pip than for
> other projects.
>
> (But I suspect, for example, that IPython may well encounter similar
> issues, if I run the "wrong" IPython wrapper it could start up my
> notebook using the wrong Python interpreter.)

My experience(s) with the latest IPython is that it's freaking magic - in
a good way :)

And by that, I mean when I've had a venv activated it says something
to the effect of, "Hey, we noticed that you're running inside of a virtual
environment so we've taken the pains to activate that for you. Sure,
we're the system installed IPython, but we've done a bit of fiddling so
there's an off chance that things go sideways on you. If that's the case,
you may want to invoke ipython with this other incantation to stop this
behavior".

Of course, I've not had any problems with it's magic default behavior,
so that's a nice thing. But presumably it does the same sort of thing
we're talking about wanting pip to do, vs. `python -m pip`.

-W