[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Mon Nov 9 20:20:02 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> So apparently if you use 'python -m venv' to create a new *venv* while
> inside a *virtualenv*, then it seems to complete successfully but
> leaves you with a venv that doesn't contain pip. At least on my
> machine (up-to-date Debian testing).

​How is this relevant? Are you trying to suggest that `pip -p
path/to/python` would​ exhibit the same class of bugs and failures
`virtualenv -p path/to/python` has?

​I'm not saying it wouldn't but​ ​how much of that `no pip in venv`​ bug is
a virtualenv issue or a problem with the design of a pip launcher or
standalone pip? It seems to me that it's a bit irrelevant, but correct me
if you're not using Ubuntu (were venv is broken in ludicrous ways). Plus
virtualenv is broken in it's own way (bootstrapping, see this
<https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/pull/697> and this
<https://github.com/ionelmc/virtualenv/>) ...

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro