[Distutils] Serverside Dependency Resolution and Virtualenv Build Server

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Wed Nov 11 01:30:32 EST 2015

Am 10.11.2015 um 21:54 schrieb Wes Turner:
> * It is [currently [#PEP426JSONLD)] necessary to run setup.py with each given destination platform, because parameters are expanded within the scope of setup.py.

OK

>    * Because of this, client side dependency resolution (with a given platform) is currently the only viable option for something like this

Are you sure that this conclusion is the only solution?

A server could create a new container/VM to run setup.py.

Then the install_requires can be cached (for this  plattform).

Maybe I am missing something, but still think server side dependency resolution is possible.

Please tell me what's wrong with my conclusion.

> * Build: Docker, Tox (Dox) to build package(s)
>    * Each assembly of packages is / could be a package with a setup.py (and/or a requirements.txt)
>       * And tests:
>         * http://conda.pydata.org/docs/building/meta-yaml.html#test-section
> * Release: DevPi
>     * http://doc.devpi.net/latest/
> * conda env environment.yml YAML: http://conda.pydata.org/docs/using/envs.html
>    * [x] conda packages
>    * [x] pip packages
>    * [ ] system packages (configuration management)
>
> And then, really, Is there a stored version of this instance of a named Docker image?
> #reproducibility #linkedreproducibility

I don't fully understand the above.

I guess you had the container/VM solution in mind, too.

There is a new topic in your mail which I will reply to in a new thread.

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler

--
http://www.thomas-guettler.de/