[Distutils] Serverside Dependency Resolution and Virtualenv Build Server

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 07:32:12 EST 2015

Hi Thomas,

I think your idea could be very useful as an accelerator if installation in
closed environments, as you suggested in your last e-mail, but which wasn't
clear in your first.

After all, in closed environments you have control of the machine
architecture of all clients, and can be reasonably sure that the wheels you
build server-side are installable client-side.

By default, when proposing ideas on this list, people tend to assume
they're ideas being proposed to PyPI itself, unless there is a very clear
mention that this is not the case, hence Donald's answer.

My only comment about your idea would be that since packages get upgraded
all the time, then the "fuzzy set of requirements" can't be treated as the
cache key, otherwise your pre-built virtualenvs will get stale all the
time...

Rather, the cache key of the pre-built virtual environments should be the
"fixed set of packages with exactly pinned versions" that was resolved from
the fuzzy set.

Regards,

Leo